In October of 1859 Captain George Stewart of the United States Cavalry was sent, along with his company, to establish a mail escort station on the Santa Fe Trail. They found a site on the bank of Pawnee Fork and established a camp called the "Camp on Pawnee Fork."
In 1860 the camp was renamed "Camp Alert" and a few months later was moved 2 1/2 miles west and renamed again; this time to Fort Larned after Colonel B. F. Larned paymaster-general of the US Army.
Ft. Larned - Larned, Kansas - June 27, 2015
(C) Karen K. Hoar, KKHPhotos.com, All rights reserved.